Saturday, August 9, 2008

Going for the Gold

I absolutely LOVE the Olympics. The entire world participating in a single event is such an amazing concept to me. Nothing is more unifying than athletes from all over the globe getting together for the same sole purpose. When I was a kid, we didn't have cable and only got it for month when the Olympics were airing. Our favorite: the Winter Games, as my dad used to teach figure skating and is the most graceful scientist you'd ever see on ice. We followed figure skating like some people follow the Presidential Race. The Olympics are personally meaningful to me, as they recall days of sitting in the basement with my dad, watching the competition unfold, and talking all about everything that was going on somewhere else on the globe. We watched the movie Nadia and of course loved gymnastics during the summer games. 

I grew up on the Olympics and so this year I wanted to celebrate the opening of the Games with a little party, which I decided THAT MORNING to have. Here's proof you don't need a whole lot of time to throw a party together. I waited until Shauna got home at three and the two of us ran off to the grocery store, where I bought snacks and drinks and balloons in the colors of the Olympic rings. Eleven people in all enjoyed my impromptu Opening Ceremonies party, and we watched the entire thing- all four hours! It was SO much fun to watch with everyone as we all laughed and joked and told stories about past Olympics. If you ever feel like throwing a party for things that are important to you and need a little more attention, it really doesn't take much, just great friends!



Of course I had Olympic cupcakes!



The balloon centerpiece- one color for each ring and only .99 each.





We tried to dress like athletes. Each guest received a gold medal- the plastic party favor kind.




Ah, cupcakes! Always make any party a success! Shauna baked and we decorated together.


Showing off some team spirit with red white and blue paper products.


I just printed out several copies of the rings on cardstock and placed them around the house. 


I think we'll leave this one up for the entire games!

No comments: