Sunday, May 25, 2008

Move It!





The first Sunday in May was officially MOVING DAY. Not only do I have a lot of possessions, I have a lot of strange items. That being said, I decided to put Gabe in charge of the move as he has moved me three times already, in lieu of a moving company. I had been casually packing for a couple weeks and then vigorously packing for several days up until the move. Anything that was left I could go pick up at my leisure, since he will remain at 716 Dill Ave where we lived for two years. 

The dogs and I went over after the closing on April 30 and brought a few breakables that couldn't travel in the moving van. They enjoyed the wide open space of an empty house to scamper around. 

Next it was time for the real work. We picked up the moving truck (16' Budget- next time I will need the 24') on Saturday and had it for early morning loading on Sunday, which was much better than getting the truck and loading on the same day. Having it on Saturday also allowed us to pick up a couple of items from around town, like the farm table I bought on craigslist for use as a dining room table, and the china cabinet from Stanton Home Furnishings. After we picked them up, we used the truck to get some garage sale furniture back to the old house for Gabe to have after all my stuff was moved out. Having all his furniture crammed on the porch so we could fill the truck with mine and then moving his inside was somewhat stressful but it had to be done. I hired his friend Mike to help with the loading and the two of them really rocked it. Gabe has an amazing talent for fitting everything in like a giant Tetris game, I have seen him do it before and I am still impressed! He also knows what to expect: old metal post office boxes, a dresser I found by a dumpster in college and repainted, a large German classroom chart of the ear, that sort of thing. He fit everything in with not an inch to spare, which worked well for all my fragile items that were packed in tight. We headed over to the new house, unloaded, and were done in five hours! Then we took the truck to Ikea and bought him a couch for the old house before returning the truck. The dogs and I moved over the next day as I couldn't put a bed together after all of that.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

My son , Frank is exactly like your friend....He can take a storage unit that is FULL of stuff and pack it so you can put an equal amount in after he finishes!!

Who says video games are useless in R/L?

pony said...

Gabe was so helpful. How sweet of him. I wish I was there to share in your new home. It seems like such a redefining experience.

-T