Monday, May 26, 2008

Decorating projects, Phase 1









                                        New chandelier- just right.





There is lots to be done at the new place, and I am so scattered because everything is a top priority! I have to divide and conquer which is hard when you're impatient. I HAD to get the awful chandelier out ASAP. I've posted a picture from the real estate listing, which shows the previous furniture and chandelier. They look alright, but very contemporary in an historic house, and the chandelier was too large for the room. It was also what I call a "Home Depot Chandelier", which is to say it was incredibly boring and lacking in style. Fine for a large subdivision house lacking in character, not fine for my 1925 brick bungalow! 

The new chandelier is in and please excuse the mediocre pictures my iphone takes. It has to be rewired as only half of it is illuminated, but that isn't so bad considering I found it in a parking lot in Savannah and added the crystals from the most fabulous store in the world, The Paris Market. It's also hung much higher than the old monstrosity which is better for sight lines between the kitchen/breakfast area and living room.


Also exciting are the new coffee tables! They are Belgian bins that I got at Scott Antique Market several months ago. I try to go each month when Scott's rolls through Atlanta and I almost always find something. These bins had potential, and at $30 each I eagerly lugged them back to my Prius. They sat in the old house for quite some time as I wanted to make lids for them out of zinc (sheets of zinc stretched over wood) but I couldn't find zinc anywhere. I know people do it as I have seen it a lot recently, but I eventually gave up. Gabe attached the casters (don't you think things with wheels are so much better?) and made the lids for me out of birch with several layers of varnish. We put $5 hinges on them for easy storage and I am thrilled with the outcome! Unique coffee tables that no one else has- for $35 each!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angel williams said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new home! can't wait to seeit in the flesh! that pool is gonna be gorgeous, too!

Sunny said...

I LOVE the tables- and built in storage as well! I haven't been to SCOTTS but wish i lived closer to Hotlanta so i could!! I'm like you- I want unique things- things no one else has- and I have a very active imagination so I dream up a LOT of projects like you did. Drives my hubby nuts when I tell him I have an "Idea". Lmao.

Everything is turning out so well- and KUDOS for getting rid of that boring lighting in the dining area. I like YOURS much better!!