Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Let There Be Light!



      Before-  chalice monstrosity in foreground, modern pendants in back.


                                            The dreaded chalice


                  Modern pendants above sink and Dan's shoulder

                                  Skip installs new fixtures


                   And voila! Three matching fixtures that I adore!




                            Finally a light in the office! So perfect.



I am so excited! Furthering my quest to replace the Home Depot light fixtures in the house, I came across a fantastic website- it's called Schoolhouse Electric. They are based in Portland, OR (always a good sign) and they manufacture period lighting fixtures and shades, many of which are hand painted. They have one store in Portland and one in NYC, but I made my selections on the website and yesterday they arrived, carefully packed and ready to hang. 

My dear friend Jenn is loaning me her boyfriend Skip for many around-the-house jobs. He hung the chandelier in the dining room and will be helping fix many things from the home inspection list. He had already planned to come by yesterday to work on some other things and was able to hang all of my fixtures that the Schoolhouse people sent as well!

The kitchen had three fixtures that just weren't doing it for me. See the large chalice in the realtor photos from the previous owners? I was not feeling that or the modern (why so modern? WHY?) pendants above the sink. Skip switched them out to my new schoolhouse fixtures and I am so pleased. 

Additionally, I got a fixture for the office/studio, which did not have one before, just a switch and a hole in the ceiling. The hole is currently off center (who DOES that?) but Skip put up my fixture for now and will move it to the center at a later time. While he worked, Shauna and I and our new friend Dan Savage listened to Ac/Dc and Elvis and enjoyed a late night snack of mojitos, cashews, apples & cheddar, pears & brie, and the amazing Cape Cod Potato Chips. It was a great day!

No comments: